Jun 3, 2014

Classics: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell



Widely considered The Great American Novel, and often remembered for its epic film version, Gone with the Wind explores the depth of human passions with an intesnsity as bold as its setting in the red hills of Georgia. A superb piece of storytelling, it vividly depicts the drama of the Civil War and Reconstruction

This is the tale of Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled, manipulative daughter of a wealthy plantation owner, who arrives at young womanhood just in time to see the Civil War forever change her way of life. A sweeping story of tangled passion and courage, in the pages of Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell brings to life the unforgettable characters that have captured readers for over seventy years.

Buy this book here: Gone With the Wind  





Title: Gone With the Wind
Author: Margaret Mitchell
Pages: 1024
Publisher: Warner Books

I'm going to come right out and say this. This is my favorite book of all time, and I will likely go to my grave absolutely in love with the characters, the atmosphere, and the feelings that reading this book first gave me. It is an adventure that every single person should have the opportunity to go on!

Scarlett O'Hara is spunky, sassy, and opinionated. Yet despite her faults and seemingly difficult attitude, she is courageous, smart, and hard working. She enters into young adulthood, right as the Civil War breaks out in the South. As an entire civilization and way of life is destroyed, Scarlett O'Hara must learn to live in a totally different world than the one she grew up in.

This is the first book I've ever read that made me sad that the South didn't win the Civil War. Mitchell weaves a magnificent story of heartache, love, struggles, and war. It is a great book to read, and although the page count can be disheartening to some, the overall story is so worth it! Don't get intimidated!

As far as classics go, this one is one of the best. It is a fairly easy read as the story moves quickly! Please go out and buy this book. It should be a staple in every household! I give this book 5 arrows, so get it quickly!




 

4 comments:

  1. That is one of my all time favorite books! Love, love it! I still don't own it...(I did at one time but years ago a little brother threw in in a pool...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I won a copy! But, I guess that is thanks to you :)

      Delete
  2. Is the movie as good as the book? I have only seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is amazing, especially for when it was filmed, but the book is by far my favorite! If you ever read it, you'll have to tell me what you thought!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!