May 4, 2014

Book Review: Beauty by Robin McKinley




A strange imprisonment.

Beauty has never liked her nickname. She is thin and awkward; it is her two sisters who are the beautiful ones. But what she lacks in looks, she can perhaps make up for in courage. 

When her father comes home with the tale of an enchanted castle in the forest and the terrible promise he had to make to the Beast who lives there, Beauty knows she must go to the castle, a prisoner of her own free will. Her father protests that he will not let her go, but she answers, "Cannot a Beast be tamed?"

Robin Mckinley's beloved telling illuminates the unusual love story of a most unlikely couple: Beauty and the Beast.

Buy this book here: Beauty




Title: Beauty
Author: Robin McKinley
Pages: 325
Publisher: HarperTeen 2005

I don't usually like retellings of fairytales or any story made popular by Disney. They are too well known, there aren't any surprises, and they don't usually hold my interest for long. Beauty by Robin McKinley had something that most fairy tales don't, and I fell in love with the novel. 

I first read the book when I was 13 years old and I was fascinated by the world McKinley created. I still have found memories of the first time I read this book, and because of that it will always be a favorite of mine. McKinley did a fantastic job taking a traditional fairy tale that most girls know back to front by the time they are 5, and creating a new world with unexpected twists and turns.

I've also always felt a kinships with Beauty and her love of books. This may have somewhat tainted by feelings about the book. But, despite that, I still would strongly recommend anyone age 11-17 to pick up this novel and read it. And even if you are a little older and wiser ;) you will still feel the magic as you dive into the book.

Robin McKinley is an excellent writer of fairytales. If you liked Ella Enchanted or any books along those lines, this book will be right up your alley! Overall I could give this book a 4/5. I found it interesting, easy to read, and quite enjoyable. The book brings back found memories of childhood and the magic I believed in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!