May 9, 2014

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself - and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Buy this book here: The Selection




Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Pages: 352
Publisher: HarperTeen

With the third book in this series having just come out a few days ago, I thought I would share my thoughts on the previous two books, and ultimately why I won't be buying or reading the third installment anytime soon. 

For me, this book felt like ABC's The Bachelor, only held in ancient times. 35 girls are chosen to compete for the hand of the Prince. At anytime they can be sent home, its all up to Prince Maxon. Starting to sound similar to anyone else? There is lots of drama, girl-girl drama, girl-boy drama, and ultimately the book finishes with no real resolution.

I understand the book is the first in a trilogy, but I was surprised when the second book picked up immediately where the first one left off. Like word for word?!? Since when did that become a thing? I noticed the same thing happened in the Divergent books. And honestly, I wasn't really a fan of that style. I think its because I felt like Cass was simply stretching out the storyline in order to sell more books and convince people they needed to read the next one.

I really felt like the whole "Selection" process could have been resolved in a single book, and then Cass could have looked at different story lines and developed those in future books. Instead she dragged out a single plot into three different novels. By the time the second one finished I was no longer interested, and so I won't be reading the third book. I'll ask my friends to see what the ultimate conclusion was, but I just can't bring myself to read it.

The characters seemed immature and unfinished. America (yes, her name is really America) lacked substance and background. And I hated the fact that her name was America. I understand why Cass chose it, to show her fighting nature. In the end though, it fell short of that.

If you are looking for a quick easy read, then this is a book for you. There was very little substance, but at least the first book kept me interested enough to finish. If, however, you are looking for something with depth, with characters that excite and enthrall you, and a great adventure that you can dive into, this is probably not the book for you. I give this book a 2 arrow rating. Don't waste your time unless all you are looking for is something to waste your time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!