May 15, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Matilda by Roald Dahl







"The Trunchbull" is no match for Matilda!

Who put superglue in Dad's hat? Was it really a ghost that made Mom tear out of the house? Matilda is a genius with idiot parents - and she's having a great time driving them crazy. But at school things are different. At school there's Miss Trunchbull, two hundred menacing pounds of kid-hating headmistress. Get rid of the Trunchbull and Matilda would be a hero. But that would take a superhuman genius, wouldn't it?

Buy this book here: Matilda






Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl
Pages: 240
Publisher: Puffin Books

I thought I would try something new this Thursday, and take a look at one of my favorite childhood books. Matilda is my favorite chapter book from childhood, and even today ranks quite high in the most loved books I own. 

The story is witty and funny. I always felt a close relationship with Matilda growing up. I liked to read, I loved school, and what kid doesn't like to play pranks on her parents? Even the Trunchbull is perfectly terrifying in this book! 

The book is pretty different from the movie, so even if your kids have seen the movie you should still get them the book! If they are anything like I was, they will love it! The pictures throughout the book make it a good chapter book for school-aged kids. Quentin Blake did a fantastic job illustrating the novel. And they are frequent enough throughout the book to keep even younger kids entertained if you choose to read this aloud. (Which I highly recommend! It was one of my favorite things as a kid to read chapter books aloud.)

This book is fun, carefree, and perfect for kids! Even as an adult I still enjoying sitting down and reading it, mainly for the nostalgia of it all. It really is a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!